Life just seems to be getting faster, and especially as we approach Christmas. When are pulled in different directions to meet our commitments at work and at home, gifting can feel like a real challenge – the thought of making a list, then choosing the right gift at the right price. It’s no wonder, in the busyness of modern life, we forget the importance of gifting.
We often have to rush to make decisions and settle for something a bit more convenient. If our mind goes blank because we haven’t had the time to think, we sometimes have to choose something a little less personal, like a voucher. Do you remember a time you received a gift you thought was ‘perfect’ or a special treat ‘just because’? Maybe someone spoilt you with a random act of kindness, one of the best gifts of all. How did it make you feel? If you felt a little glow inside and a true sense of happiness, there was a reason. Because the person who chose the gift captured the true reason behind giving; making someone feel special.
At Koh, we want to bring back the true meaning of giving. We think it’s time to slow down, take a breath, and think deeper about others. We want to bring back true connection, not through technology or social media, but those special moments when you feel someone really cares for you. We want to encourage you to practice what we call ‘Conscious Gifting’. This is a mindful, caring process of taking the time to think deeper about your gift and how it will connect you with your friend or loved one. Only when we are conscious can we be more kind, thoughtful and more connected. Why not try Conscious Gifting next time you need to choose a gift?
Follow the Koh Method and you’ll not only enjoy the process of gifting but find something more personal that will make someone feel special. There are three simple steps.
- Make a cup of tea, coffee or a cold drink and sit quietly in a pleasant spot for a moment. We recommend you don’t do this when you are feeling mentally exhausted. Maybe try on a lovely Saturday morning when you are feeling refreshed. Stop all of the other busy thoughts in your head, and conjure up a picture of the person you want to spoil. See them smiling, laughing, and having fun.
- Ask yourself a few questions about your friend or loved one. Here are some thought-starter questions for you:
- What makes them smile?
- What do you love to do together?
- What brings back happy memories of their childhood, your friendship or a holiday?
- What do they need more of in their life – comfort, calm, peace, joy?
- What would make them feel special and increase your personal connection?
- What do they surround themselves with? What sort of things do they have around the house? This will provide some ideas of what is important to them.
- How do they spend their money? This will give you a great idea of what they value, as people are most happy to spend their money on things they value. For example, do they spend a lot of money on their health?
- Now you can use these moments and ideas to guide you. Perhaps you remembered that they love animals, or that on your first holiday together you went to the beach. If they are always rushing and you know it’s been a difficult year, a gift of calm and serenity might be just right.
At Koh, we help take the guesswork out of gifting. Visit our website and you’ll find a wonderful range of giftware to suit all tastes – even the ‘hard to buy for’ person. This year, why not avoid the crowds and shop online with us from the comfort of your own home? We’d love to hear about your experience with conscious gifting! Koh X